Key Points From This Episode:
Welcome back to The Book Launch Show, helping authors launch and market their books. This week on the podcast we are going to dive into more with Valerie Francis. Valerie is a best-selling indie author, story editor, and creative entrepreneur who is trying to figure out her marketing strategy and how to build her platform as an author. One of the things that is very tough for writers of all backgrounds is figuring out who exactly you’re talking to and being very clear about that. It can be scary, it can feel like you’re alienating people that would be interested in what you’re doing, and you often feel like you don’t want to leave anybody out. However, narrowing down your audience is also a really important practice. So in this episode we walk through that and talk about how to do it, why it’s important, and truly work through our struggles on the topic. This is a really important episode and something that everybody who is trying to build a following really needs to be clear on. So stay tuned to hear it all!
- Asking for referrals; expanding your reach within your industry via podcasts.
- Brainstorming other industries/topics that you can explore as an author.
- Defining your ideal reader to customize your marketing strategy.
- Understanding “old-school” marketing tactics and whether they work.
- Overcoming the fear of leaving people out when niching down your focus.
- How niching down makes it easier for others to refer you.
- Applying the concept of “the omnivorous reader”.
- Understanding how your niche shapes your outreach activities.
- Importance of being clear on who you’re talking to; compelling action.
- Valerie’s homework: expanding outreach activities and creating a personal mantra.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Tim Grahl — https://booklaunch.com/
Tim on Twitter — https://twitter.com/timgrahl
Valerie Francis — https://valeriefrancis.ca/
Valerie on Twitter — https://twitter.com/valerie_francis
The Story Grid Editor Roundtable Podcast — https://valeriefrancis.ca/podcast/
Running Down a Dream — https://www.amazon.com/Running-Down-Dream-Winning-Creative/dp/1936891557
Writers On the Road Podcast — https://writerontheroad.com/
Writes 4 Women Podcast — http://www.writes4women.com/
Australian Writer’s Centre — https://www.writerscentre.com.au/
Seth Godin — https://www.sethgodin.com/
Steven Pressfield — https://stevenpressfield.com/
Writing Wednesday’s Blog Series — https://stevenpressfield.com/category/writing-wednesdays/
Ladies, We Need to Talk — https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/ladies-we-need-to-talk/
The Artist’s Journey — https://www.amazon.com/Artists-Journey-Lifelong-Pursuit-Meaning/dp/1936891549
Book Launch — https://booklaunch.com/
December 25, 2018